Ariana Grande - "One Last Time" Review


Ray:
One Last Time is a really fun and cool music video. I really like everything about the video because it has an interesting and a fun adventure. A lot of music videos do not have stories or action like this one. They usually are the singer dancing with her crew and trying to get a significant other. This one has a completely new and different idea where the two main characters are trying to find safety.
It is shot as a found footage and the guy carries to around with him while following Ariana Grande. I think the coloring of the comet makes the video feel more beautiful and not scary. The purple of the comet gives a more relaxing feel rather than a destructive feel. The purple lets the audience know that the music video is fake and does not want the audience to worry about Ariana Grande’s safety. The video lets the audience know it is fake while keeping an original style.
I think a lot of the action sequences look very real and exciting. My two favorite scenes are when a police are fighting a guy with a shotgun and firefighters saving people. I thought that the ending was really good for a music video because it ends with the two kissing right before the world ends. I think it fits really well with Ariana Grande’s brand about love and happiness. It is almost like mini movie where they see the victims, the insane conspirators, the crashed comet, and power outages. I fin it to be a very different and exciting music video.
            I like the music video better than the song in this case. The song is a normal pop song about one person in the relationship wanting to hang out with the other for one last time before they break up. She is asking for forgiveness about cheating on him. It’s a nice and sweet song about love. Ariana Grande is a really good singer and very talented. My only problem with the song is that it sounds just like all of her other songs. Its not very different but I still enjoyed listening to it. It just was not distinct or different enough for me.

            I would recommend everyone I know to watch it.

Tom:
            The intro of the video is interesting.  It looks like a clip from the Cloverfield movies, or any dooms day movie that is.  Why did she get out of the car?!  Arianna is pushing through cops and people to get out of the traffic jam.  Im confused why the one cop is trying to stop people from getting through when there are astroids falling from the sky... She then walks in a random persons house, and then through a room that was just blown up and is on fire..  Then they magically appear in a room full of TVs and a man tries to kick them out and they knock him down.  Why'd they have to tackle him?  They do all of that to get on a roof to look at the sky.. Interesting.. Arianna and the camera guy kiss then get exploded. 
            It was an interesting concept, but I think they tried way to hard to be cinematic.  It was really cheesy and I found myself laughing at some points.  It looks like it was shot in one take, but there's no way they actually did.  Im sure it was edited together.  If it were simplified and actually shot in one take it would have been way more artistic and just all around better.  As far as the song goes, I'll pass.

Comments

  1. I agree with Ray that the video is better than the song. Sounds like all of her other songs. Definitely think she was going for a Cloverfield vibe with this....not sure it was successful though. It was interesting but it made me dizzy at points. Sorry Ray. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys are too hard on my girl, Ariana. She's the best...But, I do agree - the video is super cheesy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment